Wednesday, September 9, 2009

...and such

We went to Antelope Island for the Hot Air Balloon and Kite Festival. Overall, I was pretty disappointed for several reasons, but the balloons were amazing (I plan on writing a letter to the organizers to suggest ways to make it a better event).

We saw a bunch of bison - this was one the first we saw.




On Labor Day we found out that Home Depot had shrubs on sale for $2.50. So we headed down there and bought some, thus adding a bit of beauty to our front yard. We have shutters on order to go around our big bedroom window in the front. And Scott is going to make me some planters for under the two front windows. Hopefully when it is all done and the plants have grown in a bit it will look really nice.
On Monday we went up to my parents house and picked a bounteous amount of peaches and grapes (and some corn). We have begun canning peaches, our favorite, and grape juice making will commence shortly....mmmmm....

The latest discovery is that there is a hummingbird nest with two baby hummingbirds in our Aspen in front. We had noticed that there is a hummingbird always buzzing around that tree and yesterday we finally discovered why - her nest is there with her babies. Now if we can only keep this information from Mr. Peeps then all will be well...he is a killer lately.

5 comments:

Ryan and Renee said...

It was fun going to Antelope Island with you and seeing you on Monday, have fun canning and making juice. It's a lot of work.

DeLong Family Members: said...

Yum, the peaches look so good. And if there are grapes left when we come home, I will can some juice for us. The picture of the hummingbirds is so cute--I love birds and really miss them. Brown Tree Snakes have eaten the eggs of almost all the birds in Guam and you rarely hear the sound of a bird--I really miss that. Mom

Malisa said...

I love shutters on houses and it will look great. We can't fit them on our windows unfortunately.

We had a nest too!

I'd love to can like that someday (I think).

SJ said...

Ooh, we ALMOST went to Antelope Island...but I was pooped, so we saw UP at the $ theater and went out for dinner instead. Is it worth going to antelope Island when they aren't having the balloon festival? I've never been...but we've seen gobs of Bison, so that's not a big draw.

emily, etc, etc said...

We love going out there normally. They have a nice beach area with pavillions and we like to take picnics and let the kids run around. I would recommend it. It is pretty fun.