Wednesday, August 11, 2010

no comment....

I am done with Gracie. She is three and a half and it high time she is potty trained. She has other ideas though! And she is making me crazy. I decided that when the diapers ran out I wouldn't buy more. I figured after a couple accidents she would get the idea of what I mean by going in the potty. I figured wrong...

It has been three days of her only going in undies - she sits on the toilet plenty, but holds it until she gets her undies back on. I am afraid the last straw that broke this camel's back was this afternoon when she held it for about four hours because I wouldn't let her out of my sight unless she was sitting on the potty. She doesn't like to be bothered when she is going so I thought that if I didn't bother her when she sat on the toilet and be her buddy the rest of the time then maybe she wouldn't be able to hold it in any longer and let it go on the potty. Well my little plan was working until Davie woke from him nap. I went to get him and I kid you not, I was gone less than a minute. When I got back she told me she peed in her undies. I LOST IT! What a stubborn little stinker! I can tell you it only went downhill from there (in the form of a number two accident in her undies for the second day in a row).

Clearly she is not ready (or maybe just not willing) to be potty trained. But I don't want to lose this power struggle, AND she can't go to preschool unless she is potty trained (their rule, not mine - it is dumb). I can't tell you how tired I am. In fact tired isn't even enough of a word to describe what I am right now. I am spent. I need a magical fairy to come and fix this for me. I have tried prayer and so far that isn't panning out. And on top of it all I am SO SICK of hearing about how everyone else's child "just magically potty-trained her/himself at 18 months" blah blah blah....is that supposed me feel great about my life? Come on, try some sensitivity or at least tact! I always want to say, "Oh good for little Whoever! Your child must be a real self-starter. I bet she will be President someday!" For crying out loud, how is that productive advice? Okay, I need to pull it in a bit - sorry. Maybe that was a little rude.

Anyway, I am frustrated and feeling everything else that comes along with this. I don't really know what to do from here, although I am sure I will figure it out. I do know one thing for sure, I am tired of Gracie's potty woes ruining my year.

4 comments:

Laura Duce said...

I wish I could help but have my own stubborn son to deal with in the future. I was actually thinking of asking you about what you did with Adam, since he's a boy, cause I remember when you were potty training him a while back. Not sure how to go about it but it will be awhile. But it is kind of annoying since I have friends with those 18 month olds that are potty trained. There's no way Jackson would even understand it yet. We'll start with big boy bed first.

Jenkins family said...

Hey, look at the bright side. . .by the time she's going on the potty she'll be able to wipe herself! There's always a silver lining. I LOVE YOU!!! (And Gracie)

Candice J said...

My sister had a really hard time getting my 4 year old nephew to use the potty. She was at her wits end. Then one day my mom was watching him and she told him she'd give him a quarter to go potty in the toilet so he did. She ended up giving him about a dollar or so in quarters until he was potty trained. My sister said if she knew it would take money she would have tried that long before. He also wasn't ready to "be a big boy" so that was part of it as well.

marian said...

call me.