Friday, September 28, 2007

hispanic heritage month!

Since, by definition, I am of Hispanic decent I thouhgt it would only be appropriate to wish everyone a Happy Hispanic Heritage Month!!! I am not really sure what we are suppose to do during this month - maybe Hispanicy sort of things like eat empanadas, tortillas, or tamales (my personal favorite). Or maybe we could get a pinata, have a fiesta and then a siesta, rounding out the day with a good mate (pronouced ma-tay). However we are supposed to observe this month I have to say that I am grateful for my heritage. So here is a little bit about what I learned in observation on this month:

Hispanic Heritage Month begins on September 15, the anniversary of independence for five Latin American countries—Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. In addition, Mexico declared its independence on September 16, and Chile on September 18. The term Hispanic, as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau, refers to Spanish-speaking people in the United States of any race. On the 2000 Census form, people of Spanish/Hispanic/Latino origin could identify themselves as Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, or "other Spanish/Hispanic/Latino." More than 35 million people identified themselves as Hispanic or Latino on the 2000 Census (information taken from http://www.factmonster.com/spot/hhm1.html).

So there you have it. In honor of this month I have decided that my children will dress up as Dora, Diego, and Boots for Halloween (I kind of decided that a while ago when I realized my children look just like them and shorts and t-shirts are easy to find). Adios!!!

2 comments:

SJ said...

Those sound like fun Halloween costumes! I hope it won't be too cold! E-mail me sometime. We used to live at your Apts., and now we're only a mile away.
Take Care,
scottandsasha@comcast.net

Jonathan & Rachel said...

You are so funny! I saw a whole thing on Good Morning America about mate-it made me think of you guys! Glad you are embracing your heritage...Dora is a great way to celebrate :)!