Tuesday, February 26, 2008

happy birthday neener!


Today is my little sister Renee's 28th birthday. I have decided that in honor of this day I will list 28 things I love about Renee. Here goes....

1. She is the funniest person I know, seriously. She could make a suicidal person laugh. She is hilarious!
2. She is a sweet mom to Isabel
3. She makes the most awesome cakes I have ever seen (by a non-professional)
4. She loves mate (pronounced ma-tay) and visiting with the fam (they go hand in hand)
5. She is a great lip-sincer
6. She has really pretty hands
7. She doesn't put up with any crap from anyone
8. She works really hard at her calling and takes it very seriously
9. She speaks Spanish
10. Speaking of which, she does a great Mexican person impersonation (think Speeding Gonzales).
11. She is addicted to Wii
12. She went on a mission (something I am really jealous of)
13. She was my traveling buddy all those years my parents drug us around the world (I know, oh boo hoo - you got to go around the world - it wasn't bad, I just liked having a buddy).
14. She has great hair and perfect teeth
15. She saved me from Roger's hip jerks at the dance club in South Africa (inside story - don't ask)
16. She river rafted the Zambezi with me for Christmas one year
17. She let me borrow her car so that I could drive Scott home for Christmas when we were dating. We fell in love in that car.
18. I taught her how to drive stick shift (in that same car)
19. She was a phlabotamist (I have no clue how to spell it) - yuck. And apparently she is really good at it.
20. She is really good at taking care of people in general - after I had Gracie, I was a mess and she came up to Washington with her little 4 month old Isabel and took care of me for a week. What a saint. I am pretty sure I cried to whole week and then sobbed as I dropped her off at the airport.
21. When she was little she used to play tricks on the mailman. It was always really funny
22. She always had short hair when she was in grade school and the cross walk guy (who lived with the dinosaurs) would always call her, "young man." She hated it! So she started wearing huge earrings - he didn't seem to catch on.
23. She is a great housekeeper
24. She is a lot of fun to hang out with
25. She recommends good books
26. All her life she has been complaining about her knees and I always just thought she was looking for attention. Then after her mission she went to see a doctor about them and he said she had the knees of a 70-year-old. She had to have double knee surgery. So, I guess she wasn't looking for attention. Oops.
27. She is a really talented piano player
28. She is one of my favorite people in the whole world. When were in Africa and Taiwan people used to ask up all the time if we were twins; I would have loved to have been her twin. We were the best of friends and still are. I love you Nay, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Please Note: This picture was taken about ten years ago. Don't we both look so young and spry? Actually as you can tell these were a bit chubbier days for me. Renee and I call this particular picture "The Engagement picture." It just looks like one. Sadly, I could hardly find a pic of Renee - what a loser sister I am.

8 comments:

Jonathan & Rachel said...

So cute! Happy Birhtday Renee!! I love the picture..this is how I remember the both of you!

Honor said...

you're a nice sister.

Anonymous said...

Tricks on the mailman - what is that all about?

Ryan and Renee said...

Emily, you are so nice. By the way it is spelled phlebotomist. But, you were close. I had no idea you thought such nice things about me. It's nice to hear that you like me and think that I am a good mom and housekeeper (only when company is coming, just kidding). I love you too.
p.s. don't be jealous of the mission thing, I think I cried 90% of the time on my mission. It was hard!

marian said...

You failed to mention she is an AMAZING DeOren and survived being on a milk carton and various other mishaps. Love you tons Renee.

Jinii said...

I love this so great to get to know more about Renee.

Alyson said...

Wish I had a sister to say all those nice things about me!

The Atomic Mom said...

So when I first saw this photo, I thought, "Gee that's Michelle!" but it was YOU. I need to scan this GREAT photo of you and Renee and one of Jessica and Marian's well appointed parties where we were sitting in the corner being totally loony (surprise, I know). Anyway, one of you has on this great blonde wig and the other is making a classicly Boren funny face. Oh weren't those the days? I still would like to say that All Roads Lead to JOYCE! cha-ching!