Tuesday, October 14, 2008

shades of fall

I love this time of year - I don't particularly love cold weather, but I don't mind the cooler temperatures and the excuse to wear my winter wardrobe. I love the onset of the holidays. It is such a nice time of year - it seems people are happier and friendlier. Neighbors and strangers seem to reach out more. I love the first snow and my children's excitement when they wake up to it. I love dressing up for Halloween and gathering together for Thanksgiving; I love pumpkin pie! I used to love Christmas until I started feeling guilty about only getting my children a couple of gifts - I hate the idea of going overboard so I really hold back each year. I do love Christmas and singing the carols; I really love singing the carols and listening to the Christmas music (except "Raindrops on Roses" from Sound of Music - when did that become a Christmas song?). I love this time of year.

Do you want to hear a cheesy story? It snowed Saturday night and my kids woke up and came running into our room Sunday morning to tell us. Of course they wanted to go out and play in it immediately. We got them all dressed in their snow gear and let them go out. I felt such warmth in my soul as I watched the three of them play in the snow. I started to cry - I was so happy that we lived here and that my children were making such happy memories. Say what you will about Utah, but I have been so happy with the idea of planting roots here. My kids are happy and I love where we are. All of those feeling of gratitude came streaming through my body at once and I all I could do was cry (you need to understand that crying for me is like two tears - I just don't have the ability to cry anymore - someday maybe the floodgates will open again, but for now all I get is a trickle).

So, I have been decorating for this, my favorite time of year (other than the Fourth of July). I have far more Fall and Christmas decorations than any other and I look forward all year to the makeover my house gets every October 1st. Here is a taste of what Fall looks like at my house....







This is my favorite shade of Fall.

9 comments:

The Hills... said...

Owe, your house looks so cute. What are the kids going to be for Halloween?

Erica said...

Aw! I love that last shade of fall. :^)

I completely agree with "Raindrops on Roses." What? It doesn't have a thing to do with Christmas?!?!

Mandee Lue said...

You are so cute! I'm sure someday those flood gates will open, but yay for you that they come in two's...

What a lovely shade of fall, indeed! You are so classy - I love it all! Thanks for sharing!

marian said...

I want to come see your house - can we have a pow wow in Feb when I'm up for Pirates of Penzance?

emily, etc, etc said...

Yes Yes Yes Mares, I would love for you to come. Make sure Mel e-mails me about the play.

Heather said...

i love your trick or treat sign. where did you get it?

Robyn said...

You decorate your house so nice. I love fall but I don't have many decorations to put out.
It's nice that you get atleast two tears to come out. I haven't been able to get teary like that for a long time, probably since before I had kids.

emily, etc, etc said...

Heather, I got the sign at Tai Pan Trading - I think they only have them here in UT and in CA. Maybe they have an online store.

Heather said...

I'm so glad you're feeling so settled in Utah--certainly a lot more sunshine than WA, not to mention snow. :)

The only thing I've been able to figure with the "Raindrops" song is the "brown paper packages tied up in string" bit. I love that scene from the musical, but it does seem out of place for Christmas...

Gracie is so adorable. Love that grin.