Thursday, April 14, 2011

day 21 - a favorite recipe

This one is easy! My favorite recipe has got to be my mom's cinnamon rolls. I have tried so many other cinnamon rolls and I always come away disappointed. I probably shouldn't, but I make these almost once a month. They are big and fluffy, yet a little chewy and moist. Really they are like a party in your mouth! But I am learning that yeast dough takes practice for some people - so if you try to make these and they don't turn out amazing then try again and I bet they will be better. I have been making them since I was basically able to hold a wooden spoon...that is like 30+ years of practice right there...


Here is the recipe:

3 cups warm milk
2 T. yeast
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
4 cups

Mix everything together. Add 5 more cups of flour. Knead for about 8 minutes (I never knead them this long...I am too impatient). Cover the dough and let it rise for 2 hours. Punch it down, cut dough in half, roll out one half, brush with 1/4 cup melted butter, and sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar; about 1/3 cup (recipe follows). Roll and cut into about 12-16 rolls. Place rolls on a cookie sheet that has been prepared with about 1/4 melted butter and sprinkled with about 1/4 cup of brown sugar (this is a very important part of the process -- that sugar and butter kind of caramelizes on the bottom of the cookie sheet and gives a wonderful flavor to the bottom of the roll). Repeat the process for the second half or shape it into cinnamon raisin bread (which is what I do if I don't want too many cinnamon rolls around). Let the rolls rise for 1 hour. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Frost with a simple powdered sugar frosting.

Cinnamon Sugar (note: this makes enough for about 3 batches of cinnamon rolls; the recipe above is one batch):
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup + 2 T. cinnamon

Powdered Sugar Frosting (you can look up an official one, but I never do):
I just put about 1 cup powdered sugar in a bowl. Add about 1 T. milk and 1/2 T. vanilla. Mix and add wet or dry ingredients as needed until the consistency is about like honey. Sometimes I put food coloring in it and make colored cinnamon rolls. The kids think that is pretty awesome!

One last note: Sometimes I add chopped pecans to them as well....it is super yummy with nuts.

After, afterthought: Read Michelle's comment in the comment section below. I forgot to add this tip and it is important and very accurate (Michelle is my sister and has also been making these since birth).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

just as a side note, and maybe you put it in your instructions; if the dough is very soft and sticky you did it right. If you have a dough that is stiff at all, you did it wrong. The dough should be sticky and very very soft.

marian said...

drool

Heather said...

Cinnamon rolls are one of my weaknesses!!! Maybe one day I'll be brave and try your recipe (I'm usually just lazy and do it the "Rhodes Roll Way.")