Monday, March 10, 2008

are they smile lines or crow's feet?

Once again the monumental day has come and gone this year. What day is that you may ask? Well, it was my birthday - a day that I really used to love until I turned, oh, about 18. No one loved being 17 more than me. I was young, thin, had lots of friends, a car, and very little responsibility. My parents trusted me (there was no reason not to) and so I had a lot of freedom. I could date without the pressure of getting "serious" and spend my summers playing softball and swimming. Life was great! Then I turned 18 and had what you might call and early-life crisis. It dawned on me that I suddenly had to move out of my parents' house, get a real job (I had only had a piddly little high school job that made no money), go to college, think about marriage, pay bills, understand credit, etc, etc, etc. It was all very overwhelming to me and I think I cried most of the day. I don't want anyone to be misled into believing that I led a charmed life with my parents - we had to work hard and do plenty of chores, but they took very good care of us and I really liked being with them. Well, it has been 12 years now and with a husband and three kids it is finally sinking in that I may have entered adulthood. AHHHHHHHH! My pores look huge and I have a nice inter tube sitting around my middle from these babies. BUT, after my birthday came and went on Friday I have been doing some evaluating. I actually wouldn't trade my life right now for anything. I love my babies and I love my Scott. I don't love my pores or the wrinkles around my eyes and I especially don't love admitting that I have turned th..thir...thir...well, you get the idea.

So a little run-down of my birthday... it was GREAT! I have a very sweet husband who took the day off work so that we could spend it together. Plus, as a bonus the weather was beautiful! We took the kids to the zoo, and then to Temple Square. Then my parents came down in the evening to watch the kids while Scott and I went to eat at Market Street Grill. It was really yummy and the atmosphere was really neat. When we got home I was surprised to see my sister Jennifer's car in the driveway. She had baked a decadent chocolate cake and came up with the kids. It was such fun. Plus she brought me a nice gift (Barnes and Noble gift card) and my mom got me the DVD of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolored Dreamcoat." Both of which are perfect gifts for me. And to top off the whole day Scott got me a day at the spa (I must complain about my pores a lot because he said a facial may be just what I need to feel better). It was a great day and I feel really blessed to have such nice people around to spoil me. I have a feeling that maybe my thirties may turn out to be alright after all. I guess I should contact the morturary and let them know that my life hasn't ended with my twenties and I won't be needing that burial spot after all.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You obviously missed the memo on how great your 30's really are. It really is the best decade of your life I think. You are still young enough to have SOME energy and feel good and old enough to have earned respect and to be established (hopefully). It's a great time. I LOVE being in my thirties - although I will admit that I too hate the crow's feet and age spots that are making their way into the image I see staring back at me each morning. I asked for a chemical peel and botox for my birthday, mothers day, anniversary, and christmas combined! I still love my 30's

Stephanie said...

you crack me up. i have been reading your blog for a while. scott was an old friend from h.s. -(i stress friend) and it so fun to see glimpses into his life and see that he has such a wonderful family! tell him stephanie moses said hi!

Honor said...

Love you!!! Happy Birthday!! inner tube around your middle? I don't think so. Crow's feet? maybe ... I think I have those too ... I think you are a super hot 30 year old mom who should be looking forward to the next 10 years (I know I am ...*gulp*) After all, looks aren't everything (that was a sarcastic remark ... which is suprisingly hard to do while writing)

I'm glad you had a great day ... it won't be the last!!!

marian said...

I am so with you that 17 was the BEST! The jeep, the DeOrens, choir, hard but do-able school - ahhhhhhhh!

Evan said...

Hey Emily you have the birthday thing all wrong. It's the best day of the year every year. Old or young! It's like your own personal holiday. It's like St. Patricks day and your St. Patrick. Ooh maybe everyone will start wearing your favorite color on your birthday.

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Happy Birthday!! You are hilarious! Glad it was such a good day. I bet you will look back as your 30's being the best years ever-you have such a GREAT life!! Happy Birthday again!

Heather said...

Happy birthday Emily! Wish we could have been there to celebrate with you!

Alyson said...

I've decided that my 30's have been the best yet, as no big decisions await me and life feels settled and complete. However, as I'm now closer to 40 than to 30, I'm beginning to realize that I have to make every day my best yet because "I'm not getting any younger"! You look amazing, and have a wonderful life...enjoy it!!! Oh, and kudos to Scott for the spa day. My best presents to date have been trips to the Claremont Resort & Spa in Berkeley, and it is such a treat to feel like a queen for a day! Have fun!

DeLong Family Members: said...

Does Scott give seminars on "how to help your DeLong wife make it through her birthday"? Nicely done Scott!

The Atomic Mom said...

Ok, so you're THIRTY! Welcome to my club, now get yourself the biggest tube of Oil of Olay (gotta love the Olay because once you use the Olay you are a real woman, none of that mensturation = woman crap, it's all about the Olay) and slather generously every day. Now go down to the JC Pennys and get yourself a girdle for Sunday, a nice tight grirdle, you'll have them all fooled!!! Mewwwwahahahaahah!

The Hills... said...

happy birthday emily! I'm sorry we weren't able to come up and celebrate with you! You look great! I don't see any wrinkles! Thanks for being a great sister in law!