Friday, March 28, 2008

ed sullivan!


A couple weeks ago I auditioned for the play Bye Bye Birdie. I haven't auditioned for anything in probably ten years (and it showed at auditions), but I thought I would try anyway. So I have to mention, I have forgotten just how funny theater people are. They were a hoot; it was funny because compared to them I am a bore. Which is weird because in my family I am the silly and dramatic one. Anyway I was asked to come to "call-backs" and they had me audition for the parts of Rose and Mrs. Macafree. Rose is the main character and Mrs. Macafee is a supporting role (she is the other main character's mom). The entire audition I was feeling worse and worse about Rose - she is suppose to be this sassy, Spanish, hot tamale. If you know me well, you would know that I not like that at all. The only thing I really had going for me was that I am part hispanic (but the director doesn't know that). Anyway, I went home hoping I wouldn't get asked to play Rose (too many lines, songs, and pressure) and couple days later I got a call asking me to play the part of Mrs. Macafee!!!! I was (and still am) really excited. The show is in June (the 20-26, I think) and is being performed at an outdoor theater. If you are Utah around that time, you should come for sure!!!

PS Regarding the title; I sing a song about Ed Sullivan with Mr. Macafee - it is one of the funnier songs in the show. In fact both of the songs I sing in are really funny.

17 comments:

Jinii said...

I love Bye Bye Birdie. Where is the show?

emily, etc, etc said...

It is through Taylorsville city, but I think the performances are going to be at Salt Lake Community College - The Adler Theater, I think is what it is called.

marian said...

HOLY COW Emily, I am so excited!! We are planning a little ol Utah drive sometime in late June. I just might have to make sure it's over those dates. Ed Sullivan is the most hilarious song and "it makes mother daughter more like friends". love you - Mares

Heather said...

AWESOME! that is super cool! you're totally going to rock it!

Becky said...

Great job Emily!! That's so exciting! I hope we're there by then so I can come see it. I've never seen Bye Bye Birdie.

Alyson said...

Congratulations! That's something on my "Life List", but I then think I would chicken out when it came time to actually audition. I'll just keep my "actress" persona to myself for now! Good luck!

Honor said...

I LOVE that show!! (I always sing my girls the song "I love my Linzi, oh yes I do, I love my Linzi and I'll be true ..." they like it!)

Anyway .... congrats!!

emily, etc, etc said...

I do the same thing - since Lily was a baby I have been singing, I love my lily...etc

Stacy Jacobsen said...

Congrats! I am so excited for you! We are going to be in Utah about a month after that...I wish I could see you on stage!

Callie said...

I LOVE that Bye Bye Birdie! I've seen it a couple times. You will do so well as the mom! Wish we were here in June to see it! We're excited for you!

SJ said...

I am SO excited for you! We will deffinitely have to go see it. PLEASE keep us posted.
Sasha

The Warcups said...

Congrats! I wish I could see you perform. I'm really excited for you!

Robyn said...

EMILYYYYYY!!!! What a woman!! I am sooo excited for you. That is something that I would love to do but I hate auditions more than anything so that's what's keeping me away from the stage. Good luck with that. Oh, I really enjoyed your lesson yesterday, you seem so comfortable up there. I get nervous infront of 5 young women, I could never do what you do. Anyway, keep it up.

Stephanie said...

You are going to be fabulous! I seriously cannot wait to work with you--we'll have such fun! Congrats, and hey--you deserved this role. You were AWESOME!!!!!

The Atomic Mom said...

She'll be coast to coast (at least along the Wasatch Front) with our favorite host...ED SUUUUULLLLLAAAAVVVVANNNN!

Can you tell this is one of my top ten musicals? I luff it! Now I wish I could come and see you in it!

Why don't we have stuff like this where I live? Oh, right, because I live in the middle of the cultural wasteland known as New Mexico, that's why! But, I can get you in at the Penny Slots at the cassino if you want, or at the cage fighting, see we have c-l-a-s-s here!

The Atomic Mom said...

I just realized my hyphenated word cut the line and it looks like I swore...sorry, feel free to erase that comment! HAHA, I'm a potty mouth!

Kenzalina Ballerina said...

You are a Wonderful Mrs. Macaffe