Tuesday, March 4, 2008

oh poop!

HELP! I seem to have children who are potty rejects. Lily didn't really take to potty training until she was three and a half and I am seeing the same pattern for Adam. I have tried everything to get this boy interested in going potty like a "big boy" and he just isn't going for it. He turned three in November and since then his interest has actually declined. Plus, he has the stinkiest poop EVER. I kid you not, people who have been around him have even told me that they have never smelled a stinkier kid. Not only that but he goes like four times a day (on a good day). It is disgusting and I am getting so sick of changing his diapers. So here is what I have tried so far... please let me know if you have any additional ideas.

A sticker chart - with ice cream rewards (FAILED)

I let him pick out some big boy undies and then wear them. When he had an accident I let him wear the wet undies hoping he wouldn't like the wet feeling on his bum. He didn't seem to mind. (FAILED)

I taped candy bars high on the bathroom wall and told him he could have one once he went on the potty. He still hasn't gotten one, although my guests have really liked having a treat after they use the potty. (FAILED)

I told him he is a baby because he is still in diapers and that maybe we would move him back into the crib. I don't think he believes me - after all, Grace is in the crib (dang those empty promises). (FAILED)

I have gotten just down-right angry with him. Obviously this didn't work. (FAILED)

I have tried to lay off and not put any pressure on him. After all, he will go when he is ready -- unfortunately my nose is feeling different. I think he has liked this method, but again, no results. (FAILED)

He went bottomless (no pants or diaper) for a while. He hated this, but still didn't go on the potty. Eventually I had to put pants on him to run an errand. Of course he let it all go then. I may try this one again on a day that I don't have to go anywhere.

Okay, so there you have it. If you have any great ideas about how to get this kid to go on the potty, please let me know. I am willing to do anything at this point - singing potty seat, hypnosis, psychic, magician, letting him join the local circus (they would return him once they had to change a diaper)..... I am desperate, so please HELP!!!!!

9 comments:

marian said...

Ok Dearie, Sounds like my Emmy, but I will save you the $95 psychologist bills every week and send you a long email telling you all about her methods - chart, rewards, sanity and it seems to be working and it's easier on ME! It's too long for this format. So check your email later tonight. There is hope!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Oh Em!! I am so sorry! There is a book called something like, "Potty Training in a Day"-or something like that. I've never read it, but I have a friend who swears by it? Basically you just have to spend the entire day on the toilet not letting them get off until they've gone. While they sit there you give them anything they want to eat or drink and pull out all the big guns to entertain them while sitting there. Who knows? Other than that-I've got nothing! Hope it all ends soon-my gut is once he does it, it will go quickly!

SJ said...

I loved "potty training in a day" although I've found it takes a good week...then two more for retention. Negative doesn't work...it's got to be his idea and his choice. It's easier to train when the weather is good so you can hang out outside. Put the undies on him (a little bit big so he can pull them down himself). Give him tons of fluids so that he has lots of opportunities. Feed him salty crackers...so he wants more fluids. When he goes in his undies you "practice" running to the potty 10 times from wherever the accident was. I did a lot of "Is your underwear dry? HOORAY!" That let me give him lots of praise for keeping the underwear dry. When it wasn't (and this gets hard) no big deal, let's just try again or practice ...if you get mad it becomes a power struggle and he will show his power over you by purposefuly not going in the bathroom. After you master the pea...then poop soon follows. good luck! I have a children's story book that was helpful :Bert from Sesame street... and we did end up using a singing potty for Caleb. I wish we still had it for you. Good luck!
oh- I need that stuff for Grandma...
Sasha

Honor said...

you are so funny ... I really think kids won't go until they're ready. I would just lay off for a while (sorry ... it's hard on you I know) and hopefully Adam will want to soon. Linzi didn't do it until the month before she turned 4, but then she was ready and we never had even one accident. It was seriously easy. (but you and I are opposite in the parenting arena, so I will understand if you think this advice is the worst you've heard ... seeing as how Kate still sleeps in our bed and all) Good luck!!!

Callie said...

Wow Emily, that is tough. I've changed some of Adam's diapers, and you're right, they're pretty stinky. Is he intrigued by the fact that Lily goes on the potty? I really have no experience in this area yet, but I like Sasha's ideas. Good luck!

emily, etc, etc said...

Honor, I don't think that is the worst advice ever! Besides, like I said, at this point I am welcoming all advice!

Scott said...

I like the idea of making him sit on the toilet until he goes. However, I would use duct tape to keep him in place. Then you can carry on with business as normal. Earplugs would be helpful if you choose not to gag him--the boy's scream is about as unpleasant as his poop.

Honor said...

reading Scott's comment made me laugh out loud ... funny.

The Atomic Mom said...

I have no advice for you, as I am a childless wonder.

However I will tell you that sometimes when the kids are older they become "poopy of attitude" and that's not so great either.

You could always duct tape him to the potty and see how that works...kidding!