Monday, July 7, 2008

a grandma named dearie

Today is my Grandma Dearie's 90th birthday. I would love to list 90 things about her that I love, but I am afraid it would be very long and very boring for most of you since you don't know her. I will say, though, that there are more than 90 things about Dearie that I do love. She has been such a wonderful Grandmother. She is smart and classy and we all just adore her.

For her birthday so much of my extended family came into town to celebrate. I have relatives that came from New Hampshire, Puerto Rico (my cousin is an FBI agent there), California, and Boston to just name few. It was so much fun to see them and I am reminded of just how entertaining they all are!

Another noteworthy event from the weekend is that we were able to dedicate a new grave for my grandpa. He died 16 years ago and was originally buried in the Provo cemetery. Since no one (except Jen and her family) lives in Utah county anymore the family decided to have him moved to the Salt Lake Cemetery. He now buried near his parents and in-laws, many other relatives, and several prophets and church leaders. It is a beautiful (and crowded) cemetery and it seems to make a lot more sense for him to be there rather than in Provo. My dad was able to give the dedicatory prayer and it was just such a nice experience (other than Adam and Gracie feeling the need to step on every headstone there and Adam almost knocking one over).

It was a wonderful weekend. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA DEARIE!!!!! We love you so much.

This is the whole group that was at the cemetary. I am on the far right - Scott was chasing Gracie around.

This is Grandma Dearie and her five children. From left to right; Aunt Catharine (4th child), Uncle Kurt (2), Uncle David (5), Uncle Tom (3), my Dad (1)







Grandma listening the Uncle Tom's speech about how great she is...
Renee and Tubby were having a great time eating the popcorn - well maybe that was just Tubby.
...
Just as a note, her name really isn't Dearie; it's Mildred, but we have been calling her that since I was a little girl. The story behind how she got the name is very cute - when my cousin Eliza was a newly walking toddler Grandma was beckoning her to come by saying, "Come to me dearie, come to me..." Eliza must have thought it was her name and started calling her Grandma Dearie. The name stuck and we have been calling her that ever since.

7 comments:

Erica said...

What a fun day! :^)

erika said...

what a great day! i must add that i too love your grandma dearie, and she isn't even my own grandma. she is an awesome lady! glad you guys were able to get together and celebrate with her!

Stephanie said...

What a sweet post about a nice lady! Aren't grandmas the best?

Robyn said...

Ohhh! I love grandma's too. Seeing your little grandma dearie reminds me of my little Oma. She looks like a sweet lady.

DeLong Family Members: said...

Em - thanks for the post. You know that I wanted to be there...maybe on her 100th I can make it happen.
Lisa

marian said...

SHe is, and always will be a class act and was always so kind to un college. Love that lady!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

I remember visiting you at your her house in Provo...she is so sweet! How fun to all get together!