Saturday, July 5, 2008

yankee doodle day

Waiting for the parade to start

Red, White, and Blue cupcakes
Our own little fireworks show - the kids loved it!

I love the Fourth of July! It is my favorite holiday by far. Let me tell you why...

-It is always warm - who wouldn't love a holiday that allows for flip-flops all day!
-I love BBQ food and fresh fruit.
-Isn't great that there isn't any gift-giving pressure on the Fourth? I love that I don't have to worry about getting the kids that special gift - all they care about is a cupcake and fireworks. Man that is easy (and much cheaper)!
-Speaking of fireworks - I love them. Even though I really hate heights, I still love to climb up on the roof with Scott after the kids are in bed and watching the firework throughout the valley.
-I love parades!
-I love all the American flags - there is just something so stirring about seeing so many at once.

Quite frankly I think it is the best holiday of the year! We had a crackerjack day yesterday, proving again to me of just how much I love the Fourth of July!!!!

Oh and one more thing - parades in Utah are hilarious! People line the streets with Super Soakers and all sorts of water throwing devices. When the parade starts so do the water fights. The parade-goers starts shooting everyone that goes by and the people in the parade shoot back. It was so funny. At first I couldn't believe it was happening and then when I saw that no one gets upset about it I thought it was pretty entertaining. They don't squirt the beauty queens or anything like that, but everyone else is fair game. It was such fun!

8 comments:

SJ said...

What cracks me up is that people start saving spots along the parade route a week in advance! When I saw the parade people throwing out candy...then I could see the allure of having a good spot.

Erica said...

Really? The ones up here don't let you bring water stuff. Oh, and you can't start saving spots until 6pm the night before. Fun stuff though!

Stephanie said...

So fun! We laughed our selves silly at the people with the water guns (etc.) at the parade, too. This was new to us!

Yay for Independance Day!

Stephanie said...

So fun! We laughed our selves silly at the people with the water guns (etc.) at the parade, too. This was new to us!

Yay for Independance Day!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

I also love the 4th!! We miss the parades...no one wants to sit in 100 degree weather-maybe the water fights would make it sound more appealing!

Heather said...

I am so proud of Tubby for wearing his Oregon Surf T-shirt! I love it! Looks like you guys had a blast!!!!

Miss Megan said...

Man, your holiday looks soo fun! And the cupcakes don't look so bad either. Glad you got to enjoy the day with your family -- they look like a great crowd!

Slovenia Hills said...

I love your blogs!!!!

Love,
Grandpa Chickens