Wednesday, June 10, 2009

a dreary day

Today marks a very sad event in our family. I went out to check on the chickens and give them some cabbage and I found them all dead in their house! I was devestated - who would think that I would become so attached to four chickens. I called Scott in tears and told him what I found. He was equally as upset and insisted that he come home right then to clean up and investigate (that is really unusual for Scott - I could be dying and he doesn't leave work early). I did some research and we have decided that the culprit was a racoon. Scott is ready to go out and hunt that thing down. On top of it all it has been raining for a week (uh, we left Washington to get away from this), we had a hale storm yesterday threatening the tomato blossoms, the concrete work we are having done in the back yard is on hold (thanks t0 the rain), and I am just now recovering from what the doctor thinks was swine flu (I am fine)! Needless to say, it has been a rough day...

So, how did the kids take the news? Well, I think they were actually really excited about the prospect of getting new chicks. Little stinkers! I guess I should be relieved that there weren't any tears.

On a happier note - today is June 10th. My due date is July 10th! I will be posting an eight month picture some other day - I am not really in the mood to have my picture taken today (what with mascara smeared under my eyes)...

13 comments:

Laura Duce said...

Wow! Time flies by fast when it's someone else that is pregnant. I hope you're feeling better after the flu. How terrible!

Rosie Boren said...

i am so sorry about the chickens. i would cry too!

SJ said...

too bad! I'm glad the kids are taking it better, and I'm glad you're on the mend. Are you up for a get together when Brian comes out? I'll try and give you a call later this week :)
Sasha

DeLong Family Members: said...

How sad!!! I remember when we found a couple of our chickens dead and Dad immediately went on prevention patrol--secure chicken wire all around, on top of the coup etc. It's not a fun thing to find, not to mention the time wasted on raising them and now reraising another brood!! I am so sorry!
As far as the rain goes--you will be wishing for rain in July and Aug. Or maybe you could call Al Gore and he could fix it!!!

Heather said...

oh sad. sorry about your chickens. but excited about your due date!!!

Stephanie said...

How sad! Darn raccoons... need to borrow a pellet gun?

Yay! You've reached your last month! Let me know when you're all better: I am dying to bring you treats!

Malisa said...

So, so sad...

cheyney webb said...

Tragic. How did that racoon get into their house? And swine flu on top of it all! I hope the sun will come out tomorrow.

Jeanne and Nelson said...

Racoons got two of our best layers last week so now there is no more roaming the farm. The remaining girls are really sad.

marian said...

You need to hire Daniel Bouse - he is good at killing pests.

Yippeeeeeee on the due date. I'm 20 weeks on Saturday and 1/2 way seems so long.

Robyn said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your chickens. They were so cute.

Evan said...

Scott...you got to go find that racoon and get your stare back!

Josh and Britany said...

That is so sad, i'm so sorry! I hope you are feeling better soon. Our concrete is put on hold because of the rain too, it's really frustrating!