Wednesday, June 24, 2009

it just isn't that hard!

My kids are funny. They will play all day outside if they are in the front yard. They will ride bikes, color with chalk, run around the neighborhood, etc. But the minute I suggest they go play in the backyard, where it is securely fenced, all I get is moaning and a whiny "noooooooo." I don't get it. Our backyard is really nice - it has soft grass and lots of it, a big, shady tree, and a little fort/playhouse. Plus I am always willing to put the sprinkler on. When I was a kid this was all I ever needed. Between this and their imaginations, I think they should be perfectly content back there. Apparently I am wrong - freedom is much more fun. Only it is sort of cutting into my day having to sit out and watch them for fear that they will be kidnapped or hit by one of our crazy neighbors who thinks driving at the speed of sound in a neighborhood filled with children is acceptable (to my neighbors who read this - you know who I am talking about and it isn't you).

I am open for suggestions on how to get my kids to stay in the backyard - keep in mind I am not the sort of entertaining kind of mom. That is what they have siblings for. I am happy to get them started on something though. HELP!

5 comments:

Honor said...

oooh ... I wish I had a suggestion for you. actually, my suggestion would be to just put them in the back and let them deal with it ... maybe they'd find some fun thing about it they didn't know. I am always up for making it easier on the mom who is due any day now with baby #4 ... although then you'd have to listen to whining maybe. it's a tough one.

Heather said...

i had the same problem. but then we got a little pool. you know...the little kid kind with a slide. they love it. i put it right outside the window so that i can see them. and it really helps that all the neighborhood friends come to our house to play in the backyard.
i have sidewalk chalk in a basket hanging on the fence so they like to color on the fence. bubbles and a bubble machine. beach balls. little water guns. we made a sand box and filled it with cool toys. they get to listen to music. snacks every once in a while.
it's pretty fun!
i think the real thing though that makes them want to go in the backyard is just that friends come over every single day to play!
oh. and otter pops!

Stephanie said...

We have special "backyard only" toys. They can invite friends to come over and play there.

Thanks for coming to the play the other night! It really meant a lot to us all.

SJ said...

Cement made all the difference for us. A little patch to bounce a ball, or a spot to ride a vehicle on...good luck!

Alyson said...

Doesn't that make you long for the days of our childhood, when we were out front playing completely unsupervised for hours (if not days) on end? I feel bad for our kids sometimes, like they really are missing out on the opportunities for independence and fun that are gained by being on their own.
Do you have neighbors with kids so you could all take shifts/turns watching kids out front?