Monday, January 7, 2008

fragile

Yesterday a friend of mine was brutally murdered by her husband. I didn't find out until last night when a mutual friend called to let me know what had happened. I can't tell you the shock and horror of the news. Her mother is a dear friend of mine from Washington and I think one of the hardest things for me to cope with right now is knowing the pain she must be feeling. It breaks my heart.

The reason I am writing this today is because I can't seem to get the thought out of my mind that our lives are so fragile. No one wakes up one day and says, "hey I think someone might gun me down today so I had better start living right." Although Scott has assured me that I don't need to worry about this particular scenario, it is no assurance that something else won't happen. A few months ago another friend lost her 16 year-old sister in a tragic car accident. These events have led me believe that I need to live each day as perfectly as I can. All I could think about last night was whether or not I would be ready to die. I had resolved that this year I would try to better myself and my life and this has just encouraged me to take my resolve so much more seriously.

Hopefully out of this huge and senseless tragedy something good will come - even if it is just a few people trying harder to become better.

4 comments:

Jonathan & Rachel said...

OH what a horrible story! Completely unimaginable!! Our prayers are with your friends family!

The Hills... said...

That is so so sad. I can't even imagine what her mom must be going through. It is definately true, each day is so precious!

Heather said...

I just heard about this and am a little sick to my stomache. I am so sad for the family and especially for her mom who saw it happen. i just hope that the little boys will be all right and will be taken FAR away from their horrible father. so sad.

erika said...

oh em, this is so horrible. i just heard about this! i hope you are doing OK, will you be going to the funeral? i got your message today, and i didn't have a chance to call you back, i will try tomorrow. Love yoU!