Tuesday, March 8, 2011

day 1 - fave song

Seriously?! This is like asking a mother to pick a favorite child (which is David by the way...no! Just Kidding; I love all four of my children). It is no secret that I LOVE music - it is a part of my soul and who I am. I have been thinking about this little question now a lot and it is hard to pick a fave, so I will have to make a short list of favorites by genre.

Broadway/Show Tunes: "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" - I love this song; I have always loved this song. It is happy and bright and Gordon McRae looks so handsome singing it as he rides through the fake corn fields. Plus his voice is so dreamy. The other one I love is "As Long as You're Mine" from Wicked. It is just a pretty duet and love song and it gives me chills when I listen to it.

Classic Rock: I can't narrow the field to one so my favoriteS are: "You're So Vain (Carly Simon), "Seven Bridges Road" (Eagles) - I like it b/c I can do awesome harmonies with it, "Killer Queen" (Queen) - I don't know why I like this song; maybe b/c it sort of tells a story and is sort of quirky, basically anything by Simon and Garfunkel but mostly "Baby Driver" & "Keep the Customer Satisfied"

Indie (ie Chill) Music: "Lucky" (Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat), "The Way I Am" (Ingrid Michaelson)

New stuff: "Lifeline" (Angels and Airways), "Sometime Around Midnight" (The Airborne Toxic Event), "Sweet Disposition" (Temper Trap)

Teeny-Bopper Pop: "Naturally" (Selena Gomez)

80's fave: "The Promise" (When in Rome)

Love Songs: "She's Always a Woman" (Billy Joel) - this is the best song, "Morning Lullabies" (Ingrid Michaelson), "Only You" (Yaz - the Richard Stannard 1999 Remix version), "Angel" (Sarah McLachlan), "Hello" (Glee Cast)

Religious: "All Through the Night" and "Homeward Bound" both done by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

So I do have to say that overall, through all the years one song in particular has always been a favorite and that is "I Want to Break Free" by Queen. Lest you think it is because I have a secret hope to break free from Scott you should know I have loved that song since high school; long before I knew Scott. I think it must be my sub-conscience wanting to break free from my deep and abiding love for ice cream...either that, or I like it because it is just an awesome song that can get my toe tapping no matter what!

Try watching the music video on YouTube - I would post it here but it may offend some and I don't want that. It is really really funny! (I don't find it offensive, but Freddy Mercury was a flamboyant, gay man and he is dressed in drag which I know bothers some people)

4 comments:

Laura Duce said...

I love queen! and that's going against my father who can't handle Freddy Mercury yet loves Elton John?
Your 30 day thing sounds fun. Maybe I'll do it some day.

marian said...

Actually the corn in "Oklahoma" is REAL! They filmed in southern AZ and the corn grew like CRAZY! Love the list.

emily, etc, etc said...

Mares, I was told they grew the corn in buckets and that is why it is filmed at that up angle. None the less, I love that part of the movie!

Heather said...

I'm already loving all of these new things I'm learning about you! I am also a HUGE music fan! No wonder we get along so well, right? Too bad our favorite Power Pump song isn't on your list (ya know, the Ho song). :)