Wednesday, March 23, 2011

day 9 - pet peeves

I have to be honest with you, not a whole lot really bothers me as far as pet peeves go.

There are a few things though that do really get under my skin...

Wal-Mart: I really really don't like that place. Whenever I walk in there I feel anxious and annoyed and when I leave I feel irritated and like I need to go into detox! I don't like how the employees know nothing, move at a snail's pace, and can't string a coherent sentence together. I don't like how most shoppers are advertising for the latest Disney star like Tinker Bell or Hannah Montana, or that they are dragging there tired, sugared-up children with them around at 9:00 at night. The whole dynamic of Wal-Mart just bugs me. I would rather pay a few dollars more and shop at Target where it is clean, the employees are actually helpful and there aren't people everywhere obliviously stopped in the middle of every isle!

Stupid People: I know that sounds harsh, but let me explain. When I say stupid I don't mean people who have legitimate learning problems. I don't even mean people who don't know a lot. I mean people who are lazy and don't use the perfectly good brain they've been given. I could go into a long elaboration on this topic, but I will spare you...In short, think of anyone who might be on Jerry Springer, the Price is Right, or basically most reality shows and there you have it.

Debbie Downers: Everyone has problems. It is okay to vent once in a while. It is okay to productively talk about your problems with a friend (or spouse). It isn't okay to walk around with a little dark rain cloud over your head all the time. No one likes it. It really bugs me. Life just isn't that bad or that hard (unless we make it that way). I am hesitant to list this pet peeve because I don't want all of my friends to suddenly think they can't talk to me or ever complain to me - that isn't the case. Like I said, it is okay to vent frustrations, it is also healthy to talk about things that are bothering you, as long as you are also trying to find a solution. I certainly do my fair share of complaining (mostly to Scott). But it is so very important to remember that the best way to work out problems is to choose to be happy. My formula for happiness is as follows (just in case you care): Smile, think of others but mind your own business, leave the house daily, and be productive! I find that most people who are chronic complainers don't do most of those things listed.

Okay, so now I have to put my footnote. This is the most important part of the post...I have listed two categories of people. I have made it sound like I can't stand those people. Like I said at the top; most things really don't bother me and that applies to those two groups - I am pretty good at taking a deep breath and letting things roll off me when I do encounter a person like either of the two I described. The bottom line is that as I get older I realize that no person is perfect and that most people (even dumb and downer ones) are just doing the best they can at that time. Most of all I have come to realize that we are all children of our Father in Heaven. And just like I don't want my own children to be mistreated by others for some of their less than perfect behavior, I imagine Heavenly Father doesn't want His children to be mistreated either. So even though these characteristics in people bother me I really try to look passed it and show kindness to all. I know it is kind of cheesy, but that is how I feel. I still can't stand Wal-Mart and I make no apologies for it...

2 comments:

Heather said...

I definitely have to be in the right mood for Wal-mart. :)

SJ said...

I love all the new posts! Keep 'em comming!