Sunday, March 13, 2011

day 4 - fave book

I never read this book in high school like everyone else in America. When Lily was a baby I found an old copy that our local library was selling. I bought it and read it and it has been my favorite book ever since.
That book is To Kill a Mockingbird. I really really loved this book. I love Atticus Finch - I wish I were more like him. He is wise and thoughtful. He shows such quiet courage that spoke so loudly to what he believed. Plus I love how he is with Scout (his daughter who narrates the book).

I also love The Count of Monte Cristo. It is nothing like the movie that came out a few years ago (which I also really enjoyed only because I had to think of it as a completely different story). I love Edmond Dantes (although for very different reasons than my love for Atticus Finch). Edmond is complex and Alexander Dumas illustrates his complexities so beautifully. As you read you aren't really sure if you should like Edmond so much and sometimes I didn't. But then there are times when I think he is such an amazing character I wanted to be more like him. It was a really interesting book and I couldn't put it down.

There are also some children's books that I love.
I Know a Rhino has long been a favorite in our family. I bought it when Lily was a baby and at one point all of my kids have had it's pages memorized.

Another favorite is I Heard, Said the Bird. The illustrations are beautiful and the end makes me cry every time because it is so sweet (you will read it and wonder why I cry...Lily wonders the same thing). We got it around the time I had Davie (which might explain the emotions).

Just for You is also a great one. It is a Little Critters book, which I just love. I think I like this one in particular because Adam remind me so much of the Little Critter - he just loves his mom so much! It is a sweet book and both my boys just love it when I read it to them.

I have a million other books (adult and children) that I really like as well, but these are my faves!

2 comments:

N Luthi said...

I love this idea!! What a great way to learn about someone. Oh and I too love little critter books.

Heather said...

I'm excited to check out some of those children's books at the library now. I'm happy that we are both "Rhino" fans. :)